Ideas of earth
revolve in my mind
around the sun of a page
and a galaxy of bindings
-the gravity holding things together.

Pages of light
viewed as history.
Time before you
in words insecure
-words under the influence.

And what if I wrapped up this bookstore
and called it the Bible
and what if I took their heads...

and what if I forgot history
and what if I forgot about getting a job
and what if I forgot the praises of men

and what if I saw the over-weight lady next to me
-smile-

and what if believing was right in front of me,
waiting for silence.

And here I love my enemies
and here there is an enemy.
And here the earth looks flat
and here I walk across the water of it
and here I fall off the ends of it.

And there they fall away from gravity
as I turn towards the sun,

I'm floating,
and it consumes me.

2 comments:

Seth Ward said...

I can honestly say that you are my favorite living poet my brother.

Stinking beautiful.

FancyPants said...

I think you should start compiling all of your poems and one day publish them. I also think you could publish them now, like in magazines. Or wherever poets can publish individual poems. Or enter them into competitions, which I know you probably don't want to do, and I know that's not why you write them. I hope you never write for that purpose. So maybe not.

But at any rate, I agree with Seth.